Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Paradox: Homeschooling


Woe to you that call evil good, and good evil: that put darkness for light, and light for darkness: that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter.
Isaiah 5:20, DRB
If a woman says, "I wish to teach and raise my own children."  She is met with arguments such as,

"It is wrong to shelter your children from the world...they are going to be met with hardship and disappoint. How will they know how to cope with that, especially if they are not submerged in the world?"

My response, though as a father, is , "The world is like an ocean, and a child a swimmer.  If I were to teach my child to swim by always throwing her into the ocean, what then should I expect?  She will most certainly drown.  Rather if  I were to teach her to swim in a pool, then move her into a lake, then into a sea, then the ocean, what do you think her chances of surviving  may be? She will survive.  To claim that raising a child in the midst of corruption, malevolence, half-truth, sexual immorality, dishonesty, and any other immorality would benefit a child, is like claiming if I put my child in a federal prison they will come out a saint.   Now raising them exposed to moral judgement, benevolence, truth, sexual purity, honesty and other virtues, this will no doubt increase her chances at sanctity.

No comments:

Post a Comment